Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Economic Bailout (aka Once again, its up to the gays to save, or perhaps destroy, the world...)

So... This posting is not as light-hearted as I like to keep most of the rest of my blogging refs, but in a shameless bid to try to draw in some of my Michigan friends to my blog, I will attempt to combine two of my loves: This American Life, and Politics.

After exchanging a few heated emails with my buddies about our mutual dismay regarding all of the bruhaha around this new bailout and frantically trying to figure out why on earth nearly 2 trillion dollars is suddenly being printed between the two bailouts, I stumbled across last week's TAL.

Admittedly, TAL usually caters to a bit less weighty material itself, but whenever it does lend its hand to matters of current economics/politics, I find it quite enlightening. (see "The Giant Pool of Money", Episode 355 - or the text here for a brilliant explanation of the housing bubble). This time they've done a little investigative reporting into the thought and theory behind why Obama wants to spend so much cash. Like it or hate it, here's what they found:

It all comes down to a dead, gay guy (okay, bi I guess).

Interested? Good, cuz they tell the story a lot better than I do.





Or download it for an mp3 player by right clicking: Download Bailout Explaination

This American Life
Length: 20:22
Original Show: 373 - The New Boss
http://www.thisamericanlife.org

1 comment:

brett said...

I'm only just starting episode 7! I have a ways to go before I get up to the 300's..!